A sample of current or recent projects carried out in close collaboration with the industry.
- Planned operating strategies can extend life of solar batteries
Research has found that optimising a battery’s operation to reduce household electricity bills, while ignoring degradation, results in a short battery life.
- New joint design unlocks improvements for jaw repairs
A collaboration resulting in the world’s first customisable design for a prosthetic jaw joint that offers greater movement of the jaw, improved facial balance and improved medical outcomes.
- Focus on user needs helps streamline engineering design
Incorporating a model predictive control (MPC) as part of the operating system of defensive missiles to improve the accuracy of missile interception.
- Fuel-efficiency and emissions focus of motoring research partnership
The need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions is driving innovation in the passenger vehicle industry.
- Thoughtful design engineers early success for new machinery
Agricultural equipment capable of carrying out subsurface manuring has been designed to cut though soil to depths of 200 to 500 millimetres, then insert and cover organic material.
- Rehabilitation robotics helps restore movement
Combining mechanical engineering with the mechanics of human movement, researchers are working to help restore mobility to people who have suffered a brain injury.
- Predictive approach underpins next-generation diesel engine powertrains
Better fuel efficiency and longer engine life are just two of the outcomes to be achieved from a new, dynamic approach to diesel engine control.
- Bionic hand redesign to improve dexterity for amputees
This project is attempting to design a mechanical hand with unprecedented levels of functionality.
- Fluid modelling helps predict heart disease outcomes
Using the equations of fluid dynamics to create models of blood flow that are based on the real state of a person’s arteries, including disturbances due to the presence of blockages.
- Turbulence simulations to improve turbine design
The development and refinement of models used to improve the operating efficiency in a wide range of engines, including aircraft, submarines, and wind turbines.
- Balance calculations help to automate forklifts on the move
This project aims to improve the safety of forklift operations by providing operators with more assistance in the form of greater automation of their equipment.
- Engineering innovation underpins manufacturing evolution for Integra
A commitment to research has underpinned the successful evolution of Melbourne-based metal component manufacturer Integra Systems, at a time when Australian manufacturing is in decline.
Mechanical Engineering industry advisory group
Our advisory group provides valuable insights on our strategic planning, teaching, and research programs. Each member provides a link to the external stakeholders who comprise their field of expertise.
The goals are to focus on increasing industry involvement in course design, including input into:
- The curriculum
- Presentation of guest lectures
- Real-world case studies
- Industry-based projects
- Site visits
For further information, contact Professor Jason Monty, .
|Mr Frank Schrever||Machine Safety By Design|
|Mr Peter Meikle||CRM Advisory|
|Mr John McGuire||Aurecon|
|Mr Troy Robinette||ANCA Motion|
|Mr Miro Miletic||Memco|
|Dr Nicholas Beagley||Defence Science and Technology Organisation|
|Mr Richard Taube||Ford|
|Mr Matteo Giacobello||Defence Science and Technology Organisation|
|Mr Gordon New|
|Mr Mark Nolan|