Associate Professor Denny Oetomo
- Robotics in Biomedical Applications
I am an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne. I am currently the deputy head (engagement) of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and assistant dean (communications) of the Melbourne School of Engineering.
For information on my work, please go here. I graduated B.Eng (hons 1) from the Australian National University in Nov 1997 and completed his PhD (Mechanical Engineering - Robotics) at the National University of Singapore (2004). I was a Research Fellow with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2004-2006), a Post-doctoral Fellow in a European Union Project at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France (Nov 2006 - Jan 2008), and a fixed-term lecturer with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2006-2007). I joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Jan 2008.
Main area of research is in robotics and its applications. In recent years, I have focused my research in the area of robotics in medical and clinical applications.
I was the recipient of a recipient of the Cornelius Regan Trust Award in 2012 on effective large class learning program and the Norman Curry Award for Innovation and Excellence in Educational Programs in 2014 for innovation and excellence in the Formulae SAE program at the University of Melbourne
- Sebastian G, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Convergence analysis of feedback-based iterative learning control with input saturation. Automatica. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 101. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2018.11.045
- Kremers D, Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Sensorless force estimator in rehabilitation robotics. Biosystems and Biorobotics. 2019, Vol. 21. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-01845-0_36
- Eden J, Song C, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Lau D. CASPR-ROS: A Generalised Cable Robot Software in ROS for Hardware. 3rd International Conference on Cable-Driven Parallel Robots (CableCon). Hindawi Publishing Corp. 2018, Vol. 53. Editors: Gosselin C, Cardou P, Bruckmann T, Pott A. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-61431-1_5
- Leong F, Mohammadi A, Tan Y, Thiruchelvam D, Lai CY, Valdastri P, Oetomo D. Disturbance Rejection in Multi-DOF Local Magnetic Actuation for the Robotic Abdominal Surgery. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters. 2018, Vol. 3, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2018.2800795
- Fong J, Tan Y, Crocher V, Oetomo D, Mareels I. Dual-loop iterative optimal control for the finite horizon LQR problem with unknown dynamics. SYSTEMS & CONTROL LETTERS. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 111. DOI: 10.1016/j.sysconle.2017.11.002
- Fong J, Crocher V, Haddara R, Ackland D, Galea M, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Effect of Arm Deweighting Using End-Effector Based Robotic Devices on Muscle Activity. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512773
- Chen Q, Jia Z, Li J, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Extended State Observer for Nonlinear Time-Varying Dynamic Systems. Chinese Control Conference, CCC. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.23919/ChiCC.2018.8483069
- Lu L, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Mareels I, An S. Feature Learning in Assistive Rehabilitation Robotic Systems. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512826
- Sebastian G, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Mareels I. Feedback-Based Iterative Learning Design and Synthesis with Output Constraints for Robotic Manipulators. IEEE Control Systems Letters. 2018, Vol. 2, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/LCSYS.2018.2842186
- Mohammadi A, Lavranos J, Choong P, Oetomo D. Flexo-glove: A 3D Printed Soft Exoskeleton Robotic Glove for Impaired Hand Rehabilitation and Assistance. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512617
- Zhang J, Shin J, Zhong Y, Oetomo D, Gu C. Heat conduction-based methodology for nonlinear soft tissue deformation. International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s12008-018-0486-4
- Sebastian G, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Mareels I. Input and Output Constraints in Iterative Learning Control Design for Robotic Manipulators. UNMANNED SYSTEMS. 2018, Vol. 6, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1142/S2301385018400095
- Bahwini TM, Zhong Y, Gu C, Nasa Z, Oetomo D. Investigating the Mechanical Properties of Biological Brain Cells With Atomic Force Microscopy. JOURNAL OF MEDICAL DEVICES-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME. Amercian Society of Mechanical Engineering. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1115/1.4040995
- Chen Q, Tan Y, Li J, Oetomo D, Mareels I. Model-Guided Data-Driven Decentralized Control for Magnetic Levitation Systems. IEEE ACCESS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2861885
- Wu W, Fong J, Crocher V, Lee V, Oetomo D, Tan Y, Ackland D. Modulation of shoulder muscle and joint function using a powered upper-limb exoskeleton. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 72. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.02.019
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile