Associate Professor Denny Oetomo
- Robotics in Biomedical Applications
I am an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne. I am currently the deputy head (engagement) of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and assistant dean (communications) of the Melbourne School of Engineering.
For information on my work, please go here. I graduated B.Eng (hons 1) from the Australian National University in Nov 1997 and completed his PhD (Mechanical Engineering - Robotics) at the National University of Singapore (2004). I was a Research Fellow with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2004-2006), a Post-doctoral Fellow in a European Union Project at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France (Nov 2006 - Jan 2008), and a fixed-term lecturer with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2006-2007). I joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Jan 2008.
Main area of research is in robotics and its applications. In recent years, I have focused my research in the area of robotics in medical and clinical applications.
I was the recipient of a recipient of the Cornelius Regan Trust Award in 2012 on effective large class learning program and the Norman Curry Award for Innovation and Excellence in Educational Programs in 2014 for innovation and excellence in the Formulae SAE program at the University of Melbourne
- Zhou H, Mohamtnadi A, Oetomo D, Alici G. A Novel Monolithic Soft Robotic Thumb for an Anthropomorphic Prosthetic Hand. IEEE ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 4, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2019.2892203
- Sebastian G, Tan Y, Oetomo D. A Unified Analysis Tool in Iterative Learning Control: Composite Energy Function. 2019 12th Asian Control Conference, ASCC 2019. 2019.
- Sebastian G, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Convergence analysis of feedback-based iterative learning control with input saturation. AUTOMATICA. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 101. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2018.11.045
- Crocher V, Fong J, Klaic M, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Direct versus Indirect Visual Feedback: The Effect of Technology in Neurorehabilitation. 2019 9th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER). IEEE. 2019, Vol. 2019-March. DOI: 10.1109/NER.2019.8716925
- Robinson M, Mayer R, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Manzie C. Effects of varying the rest period on the onset angle of lumbar flexion-relaxation in simulated sheep shearing: a preliminary study.. IEEE Int Conf Rehabil Robot. 2019, Vol. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ICORR.2019.8779480
- Sebastian G, Li Z, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Force Observer for an Upper Limb Rehabilitation Robotic Device using Iterative Learning Control. 2019 12th Asian Control Conference, ASCC 2019. 2019.
- Zhang J, Shin J, Zhong Y, Oetomo D, Gu C. Heat conduction-based methodology for nonlinear soft tissue deformation. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INTERACTIVE DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING - IJIDEM. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2019, Vol. 13, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s12008-018-0486-4
- Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Indirect Robotic Movement Shaping through Motor Cost Influence.. IEEE Int Conf Rehabil Robot. 2019, Vol. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ICORR.2019.8779430
- Sebastian G, Li Z, Crocher V, Kremers D, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Interaction Force Estimation Using Extended State Observers: An Application to Impedance-Based Assistive and Rehabilitation Robotics. IEEE ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 4, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2019.2894908
- Zamora-Garci DA, Ramirez-Reivich AC, Corona-Lira MP, Eden J, Oetomo D. On the use of tuned mass dampers for reducing the nonlinear vibrations of planar parallel cable robots. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research. 2019, Vol. 8, Issue 3. DOI: 10.18178/ijmerr.8.3.406-412
- Garcia-Rosas R, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Personalized Online Adaptation of Kinematic Synergies for Human-Prosthesis Interfaces.. IEEE Trans Cybern. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TCYB.2019.2920376
- Kremers D, Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Sensorless force estimator in rehabilitation robotics. Biosystems and Biorobotics. 2019, Vol. 21. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-01845-0_36
- Mu J, Grayden D, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Spatial Resolution of Visual Stimuli in SSVEP-based Brain-Computer Interface. 2019 9th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER). IEEE. 2019, Vol. 2019-March. DOI: 10.1109/NER.2019.8717155
- Eden J, Lau D, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Unilateral Manipulability Quality Indices: Generalized Manipulability Measures for Unilaterally Actuated Robots. JOURNAL OF MECHANICAL DESIGN. Amercian Society of Mechanical Engineering. 2019, Vol. 141, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1115/1.4043932
- Mohammadi A, Lavranos J, Choong P, Oetomo D. X-limb: A soft prosthetic hand with user-friendly interface. Biosystems and Biorobotics. 2019, Vol. 21. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-01845-0_16
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile