Professor Jason Monty
- Wall-turbulence, air-sea turbulence (turbulence)
Dr Jason Monty is Head of Department and a Professor with the Fluid Mechanics Group in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
After completing a PhD in fluid mechanics under the guidance of Professor Min Chong (with co-supervision by Professor A. E. Perry), Jason Monty was awarded an Australian PostDoctoral Fellowship by the ARC. After completing the APD, Jason was offered the position of Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. In 2012 he was awarded an ARC Future Fellowship.
Dr Monty is an experimental researcher in fluid mechanics. His experience ranges from turbulent pipe and channel flows to tow tank testing, air-sea interactions and ice-wave interactions.
- Fluid mechanics
- Wave mechanics
- Marusic I, Monty J. Attached Eddy Model of Wall Turbulence. ANNUAL REVIEW OF FLUID MECHANICS, VOL 51. Annual Reviews. 2019, Vol. 51. Editors: Davis SH, Moin P. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-fluid-010518-040427
- Kevin K, Monty J, Hutchins N. The meandering behaviour of large-scale structures in turbulent boundary layers. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Cambridge University Press. 2019, Vol. 865. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2019.131
- Alberello A, Chabchoub A, Monty J, Nelli F, Lee J, Elsnab J, Toffoli A. An experimental comparison of velocities underneath focussed breaking waves. OCEAN ENGINEERING. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 155. DOI: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2018.02.049
- Keough S, Stephens DW, Philip J, Ooi A, Monty J. CFD simulations of vertical surface piercing circular cylinders and comparison against experiments. 21st Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference. 2018.
- Chin RC, Monty J, Chong M, Marusic I. Conditionally averaged flow topology about a critical point pair in the skin friction field of pipe flows using direct numerical simulations. PHYSICAL REVIEW FLUIDS. American Physical Society. 2018, Vol. 3, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.3.114607
- Illingworth S, Monty J, Marusic I. Estimating large-scale structures in wall turbulence using linear models. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2018, Vol. 842. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.129
- Elsnab J, Monty J, White CM, Koochesfahani MM, Klewicki J. High-fidelity measurements in channel flow with polymer wall injection. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2018, Vol. 859. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.873
- Bhirawa T, Kevin K, Lee J, Monty J. LABORATORY STUDY ON THE TURBULENT BOUNDARY LAYERS OVER WIND-WAVES ROUGHNESS. 37th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2018, Vol. 7B. DOI: 10.1115/OMAE2018-77819
- Dolatshah A, Nelli F, Bennetts LG, Alberello A, Meylan MH, Monty J, Toffoli A. Letter: Hydroelastic interactions between water waves and floating freshwater ice. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2018, Vol. 30, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1063/1.5050262
- Chung D, Monty J, Hutchins N. Similarity and structure of wall turbulence with lateral wall shear stress variations. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2018, Vol. 847. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.336
- Bai H, Kevin K, Hutchins N, Monty J. Turbulence modifications in a turbulent boundary layer over a rough wall with spanwise-alternating roughness strips. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2018, Vol. 30, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1063/1.5026134
- Kevin K, Monty J, Hutchins N. Turbulent structures in a statistically three-dimensional boundary layer. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2018, Vol. 859. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.814
- Kevin K, Monty J, Bai H, Pathikonda G, Nugroho B, Barros JM, Christensen KT, Hutchins N. Cross -stream stereoscopic particle image velocimetry of a modified turbulent boundary layer over directional surface pattern. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 813. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2016.879
- Baidya R, Philip J, Hutchins N, Monty J, Marusic I. Distance-from-the-wall scaling of turbulent motions in wall-bounded flows. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1063/1.4974354
- Elsnab J, Monty J, White CM, Koochesfahani MM, Klewicki J. Efficacy of single-component MTV to measure turbulent wall-flow velocity derivative profiles at high resolution. EXPERIMENTS IN FLUIDS. Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 58, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1007/s00348-017-2410-2
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile