Professor Jason Monty
- Wall-turbulence, air-sea turbulence (turbulence)
Dr Jason Monty is Head of Department and a Professor with the Fluid Mechanics Group in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
After completing a PhD in fluid mechanics under the guidance of Professor Min Chong (with co-supervision by Professor A. E. Perry), Jason Monty was awarded an Australian PostDoctoral Fellowship by the ARC. After completing the APD, Jason was offered the position of Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. In 2012 he was awarded an ARC Future Fellowship.
Dr Monty is an experimental researcher in fluid mechanics. His experience ranges from turbulent pipe and channel flows to tow tank testing, air-sea interactions and ice-wave interactions.
- Fluid mechanics
- Wave mechanics
- Zimmerman S, Philip J, Monty J, Talamelli A, Marusic I, Ganapathisubramani B, Hearst RJ, Bellani G, Baidya R, Samie M, Zheng X, Dogan E, Mascotelli L, Klewicki J. A comparative study of the velocity and vorticity structure in pipes and boundary layers at friction Reynolds numbers up to 10(4). JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2019, Vol. 869. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2019.182
- Marusic I, Monty J. Attached Eddy Model of Wall Turbulence. ANNUAL REVIEW OF FLUID MECHANICS, VOL 51. Annual Reviews. 2019, Vol. 51. Editors: Davis SH, Moin P. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-fluid-010518-040427
- Baidya R, Baars W, Zimmerman S, Samie M, Hearst RJ, Dogan E, Mascotelli L, Zheng X, Bellani G, Talamelli A, Ganapathisubramani B, Hutchins N, Marusic I, Klewickil J, Monty J. Simultaneous skin friction and velocity measurements in high Reynolds number pipe and boundary layer flows. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2019, Vol. 871. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2019.303
- Baidya R, Philip J, Hutchins N, Monty J, Marusic I. Spatial averaging effects on the streamwise and wall-normal velocity measurements in a wall-bounded turbulence using a cross-wire probe. MEASUREMENT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. IOP Publishing. 2019, Vol. 30, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1088/1361-6501/ab2587
- Kevin K, Monty J, Hutchins N. The meandering behaviour of large-scale structures in turbulent boundary layers. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2019, Vol. 865. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2019.131
- Alberello A, Chabchoub A, Monty J, Nelli F, Lee J, Elsnab J, Toffoli A. An experimental comparison of velocities underneath focussed breaking waves. OCEAN ENGINEERING. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 155. DOI: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2018.02.049
- Keough S, Stephens DW, Philip J, Ooi A, Monty J. CFD simulations of vertical surface piercing circular cylinders and comparison against experiments. 21st Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference. 2018.
- Chin RC, Monty J, Chong M, Marusic I. Conditionally averaged flow topology about a critical point pair in the skin friction field of pipe flows using direct numerical simulations. PHYSICAL REVIEW FLUIDS. American Physical Society. 2018, Vol. 3, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.3.114607
- Illingworth S, Monty J, Marusic I. Estimating large-scale structures in wall turbulence using linear models. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2018, Vol. 842. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.129
- Skidmore G, Philip J, Monty J. Evolution of the Turbulent Far Wake of a Sphere. 21st Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference. 2018.
- Elsnab J, Monty J, White CM, Koochesfahani MM, Klewicki J. High-fidelity measurements in channel flow with polymer wall injection. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2018, Vol. 859. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.873
- Bhirawa T, Kevin K, Lee J, Monty J. LABORATORY STUDY ON THE TURBULENT BOUNDARY LAYERS OVER WIND-WAVES ROUGHNESS. 37th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2018, Vol. 7B. DOI: 10.1115/OMAE2018-77819
- Dolatshah A, Nelli F, Bennetts LG, Alberello A, Meylan MH, Monty J, Toffoli A. Letter: Hydroelastic interactions between water waves and floating freshwater ice. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2018, Vol. 30, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1063/1.5050262
- Kevin K, Philip J, Monty J, Klewicki J. Reproducing AS/NZS terrain-type wind profiles in a short-fetch wind-tunnel. Nineteenth Australasian Wind Engineering Society Workshop. 2018.
- Chung D, Monty J, Hutchins N. Similarity and structure of wall turbulence with lateral wall shear stress variations. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2018, Vol. 847. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.336
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile