Dr Robert Gordon
- Advanced laser diagnostics for turbulent combustion
- Combustion chemical kinetics, kinetics of auto ignition and pollutant formation
- Flame-wall interactions and transient combustion events (ignition, autoignition, flashback, blowout, quenching)
- MILD combustion for Gas Turbines
- Spray formation and combustion, trans-critical sprays
- Ultra-low emissions combustion for Gas Turbines with alternative and novel fuels
Dr. Robert Gordon is a Senior Lecturer in the Fluids and Thermal Sciences division of the Mechanical Engineering Department. He received his doctorate from the University of Sydney in 2007, undertook a post-doctoral research position at the Technical University of Darmstadt (Germany) to investigate high-altitude relight of gas turbine engines, and was later awarded a Newton International Fellowship to research liquid biofuel combustion at the University of Cambridge.
Dr. Gordon then joined Rolls-Royce Industrial Gas Turbines in Montreal, Canada, to undertake the role of Research and Technology Team Leader, before joining the University of Melbourne in 2014.
Dr. Gordon's research interests include: (1) the combustion of hydrogen, ethanol and alternative fuels, (2) industrial gas turbine efficiency and emissions, (3) fuel spray ignition and combustion for advanced internal combustion engines, and (4) Flame-Wall Interactions (FWI) and Flame-Cooling Hole interactions (FCAI) for pollutant control.
He is coordinator of the Master of Energy Systems degree, teaches ENGR90028 Introduction to Energy Systems, MCEN30018 Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics, and is the coordinator for the ENGR90031 Energy Systems Project industrial placement program.
Dr. Gordon has published 28 peer-reviewed journal papers with over 860 citations and an h-Index of 17 (Scopus 2019). Recognition for his research output includes an award for Most Distinguished Paper on Diagnostics in the 32nd International Symposium on Combustion, Best Student Paper at the 2015 Australian Combustion Symposium, Outstanding ANZ Section Paper at the 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion. He has a patent on a novel combustor concept for GT engines, and has given invited plenary presentations on High Repetition Rate Laser Diagnostics at the 2011 AIAA meeting and the 2011 Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics.
Dr. Gordon served as Colloquium Co-Chair for Gas Turbine Combustion and Emissions at the 2018 International Combustion Symposium, and has been invited to do so again at the 2020 ICS. He is a reviewer for leading journals such as Combustion and Flame, Combustion Theory and Modelling, Experiments in Fluids, Flow Turbulence and Combustion, Energy and Fluids, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Applied Physics D, Experimental Thermal and Fluids Science, and key international conferences such as the International Symposium on Combustion, and the ASME GT Expo.
- Jazaeri J, Alpcan T, Gordon R. Customer Selection for Residential Demand Response with Thermostatically Controlled Loads. 7th International Istanbul Smart Grids and Cities Congress and Fair, ICSG 2019 - Proceedings. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/SGCF.2019.8782293
- Rivera J, Gordon R, Talei M. Flame-wall interaction of a forced laminar premixed propane flame: Flame dynamics and exhaust CO emissions. PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 37, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1016/j.proci.2018.07.030
- Lacey J, Aditiya H, Poursadegh F, Brear M, Gordon R, Lakey C, Butcher B, Ryan S. Flash vaporization of propane in an optically accessible, directly injected engine. International Journal of Engine Research. 2019. DOI: 10.1177/1468087419849989
- Jiang B, Gordon R, Talei M. Head-on quenching of laminar premixed methane flames diluted with hot combustion products. PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 37, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1016/j.proci.2018.07.120
- Jazaeri M, Gordon R, Alpcan T. Influence of building envelopes, climates, and occupancy patterns on residential HVAC demand. JOURNAL OF BUILDING ENGINEERING. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 22. DOI: 10.1016/j.jobe.2018.11.011
- Palulli R, Talei M, Gordon R. Unsteady flame-wall interaction: Impact on CO emission and wall heat flux. COMBUSTION AND FLAME. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 207. DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2019.06.012
- Lerner A, Brear M, Lacey J, Gordon R, Webley P. Life cycle analysis (LCA) of low emission methanol and di-methyl ether (DME) derived from natural gas. FUEL. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 220. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.066
- Jazaeri M, Alpcan T, Gordon R. Model Predictive Control of Residential Demand in Low Voltage Network using Ice Storage. 2018 AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND CONTROL CONFERENCE (ANZCC). IEEE. 2018.
- Poursadegh F, Lacey J, Brear M, Gordon R, Petersen P, Lakey C, Butcher B, Ryan S, Kramer U. On the phase and structural variability of directly injected propane at spark ignition engine conditions. FUEL. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 222. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.137
- Jazaeri M, Alpcan T, Gordon R. Solar Curtailment Requirements in Low Voltage Networks: Impact of Climate and Building Wall Types in Australia. 2018 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia (ISGT Asia). IEEE. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ISGT-Asia.2018.8467832
- Poursadegh F, Lacey J, Brear M, Gordon R. The Direct Transition of Fuel Sprays to theDense-Fluid Mixing Regime in the Contextof Modern Compression Ignition Engines. SAE Technical Papers. 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.4271/2018-01-0298
- Billimoria F, Adisa O, Gordon R. The feasibility of cost-effective gas through network interconnectivity: Possibility or pipe dream?. Energy. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 165. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2018.10.010
- Rivera JE, Gordon R, Talei M. Flame chemiluminescence measurements of a laminar forced flame interacting with a cold wall. 11th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, ASPACC 2017. 2017, Vol. 2017-December.
- Lacey J, Poursadegh F, Brear M, Gordon R, Petersen P, Lakey C, Butcher B, Ryan S. Generalizing the behavior of flash-boiling, plume interaction and spray collapse for multi-hole, direct injection. FUEL. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 200. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2017.03.057
- Wiseman S, Brear M, Gordon R, Marusic I. Measurements from flame chemiluminescence tomography of forced laminar premixed propane flames. COMBUSTION AND FLAME. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 183. DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2017.05.003
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile