Dr Robert Gordon
- Advanced laser diagnostics for turbulent combustion
- Combustion chemical kinetics, kinetics of auto ignition and pollutant formation
- Flame-wall interactions and transient combustion events (ignition, autoignition, flashback, blowout, quenching)
- MILD combustion for Gas Turbines
- Spray formation and combustion, trans-critical sprays
- Ultra-low emissions combustion for Gas Turbines with alternative and novel fuels
Dr. Robert Gordon is a Senior Lecturer in the Fluids and Thermal Sciences division of the Mechanical Engineering Department. He received his doctorate from the University of Sydney in 2007, undertook a post-doctoral research position at the Technical University of Darmstadt (Germany) to investigate high-altitude relight of gas turbine engines, and was later awarded a Newton International Fellowship to research liquid biofuel combustion at the University of Cambridge.
Dr. Gordon then joined Rolls-Royce Industrial Gas Turbines in Montreal, Canada, to undertake the role of Research and Technology Team Leader, before joining the University of Melbourne in 2014. Dr. Gordon's research interests focus on: (1) industrial gas turbines, energy and emissions, (2) ignition and transient combustion phenomena, and (3) optical diagnostics and experimental techniques.
He is coordinator of the Master of Energy Systems degree, and is the University of Melbourne's Energy Cluster Representative for the Australia-Indonesia Centre. (see: http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/study/degrees/master-energy-systems/overview#nav ; http://australiaindonesiacentre.org/ )
Dr. Gordon has published 21 peer-reviewed journal papers with over 680 citations and an h-Index of 15 (Scopus 2018). Recognition for his research output includes an award for Most Distinguished Paper on Diagnostics in the 32nd International Symposium on Combustion, Best Student Paper at the 2015 Australian Combustion Symposium, Outstanding ANZ Section Paper at the 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion. He has a patent on a novel combustor concept for GT engines, and has given invited plenary presentations on High Repetition Rate Laser Diagnostics at the 2011 AIAA meeting and the 2011 Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics.
Dr. Gordon has served as a reviewer for leading journals such as Combustion and Flame, Combustion Theory and Modelling, Experiments in Fluids, Flow Turbulence and Combustion, Energy and Fluids, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Applied Physics D, Experimental Thermal and Fluids Science, and key international conferences such as the International Symposium on Combustion, and the ASME GT Expo.
- Lerner A, Brear M, Lacey J, Gordon R, Webley P. Life cycle analysis (LCA) of low emission methanol and di-methyl ether (DME) derived from natural gas. FUEL. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 220. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.066
- Poursadegh F, Lacey J, Brear M, Gordon R, Petersen P, Lakey C, Butcher B, Ryan S, Kramer U. On the phase and structural variability of directly injected propane at spark ignition engine conditions. FUEL. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 222. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.137
- Poursadegh F, Lacey J, Brear M, Gordon R. The Direct Transition of Fuel Sprays to theDense-Fluid Mixing Regime in the Contextof Modern Compression Ignition Engines. SAE Technical Papers. 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.4271/2018-01-0298
- Rivera JE, Gordon R, Talei M. Flame chemiluminescence measurements of a laminar forced flame interacting with a cold wall. 11th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, ASPACC 2017. 2017, Vol. 2017-December.
- Lacey J, Poursadegh F, Brear M, Gordon R, Petersen P, Lakey C, Butcher B, Ryan S. Generalizing the behavior of flash-boiling, plume interaction and spray collapse for multi-hole, direct injection. FUEL. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 200. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2017.03.057
- Wiseman S, Brear M, Gordon R, Marusic I. Measurements from flame chemiluminescence tomography of forced laminar premixed propane flames. COMBUSTION AND FLAME. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 183. DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2017.05.003
- Jiang B, Gordon R, Talei M. Mode-switching behaviour of preheated and diluted flames in a stagnation burner. 11th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, ASPACC 2017. 2017, Vol. 2017-December.
- Poursadegh F, Lacey J, Brear M, Gordon R. On the Fuel Spray Transition to Dense Fluid Mixing at Reciprocating Engine Conditions. ENERGY & FUELS. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.7b00050
- Aditiya HB, Lacey J, Brear M, Gordon R, Lakey C, Ryan S, Butcher B. Propane spray structure in an optically accessible direct injection, spark ignition engine: A post-processing algorithm for planar laser mie-scattering. 11th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, ASPACC 2017. 2017, Vol. 2017-December.
- Hamzah A, Poursadegh F, Lacey J, Petersen P, Brear M, Gordon R. A comparison of diffuse back-illumination (DBI) and Mie-scattering technique for measuring the liquid length of severely flashing spray. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Rivera J, Gordon R, Talei M, Brear M. A Novel Burner for Investigating End-Gas Effects of Transient Flame-Wall Interaction. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Sidey JAM, El Helou I, Gordon R, Bourque G, Mastorakos E. A Novel Low Emission Combustor Concept for Gas Turbine Applications. 11th International ERCOFTAC Symposium on Engineering Turbulence Modelling and Measurements. 2016.
- Jazaeri J, Alpcan T, Gordon R, Brandao M, Hoban T, Seeling C. Baseline Methodologies for Small Scale Residential Demand Response. 2016 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia (ISGT-Asia). IEEE. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/ISGT-Asia.2016.7796478
- Jiang B, Palulli R, Rivera J, Gordon R, Talei M. CO Emission of Premixed and Diluted Flames in a Stagnation Burner. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Palulli R, Jiang B, Rivera J, Talei M, Gordon R. Direct Numerical Simulation of Flame-Wall Interaction for a Forced Laminar Flame. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile